The generous donation of land by Captain Simpson, a leading shipping and coal merchant of the day, was the first step in the development of the Woodville Uniting Church as we see it today.
A beginning was made by erecting a small wood and iron church that was built from materials salvaged from the “Iron King”: a ship that was wrecked near Aldinga Beach. Within a few years the steady growth of the congregation rendered necessary the erection of a larger and more permanent church building.
In 1883, an historic meeting, resolved unanimously, to proceed with plans to erect a stone building to cost 750 pounds.
The foundation stone was laid and the new church opened on 6 April 1884. When the new church was designed it was decided to build the nave only and leave the completion of the transepts and vestries until later. These additions formed the completed building into the shape of a cross. Meanwhile there were urgent needs for Sunday School rooms and a parsonage, which could not be delayed. These additions and others were completed and the enlarged Church, seating 500, was re-opened on 6 December 1903.
Thanks to our pioneer past and astute decisions that were made, the Woodville Uniting Church stands today, a landmark on Woodville Road. Woodville Uniting Church not only has a formal history but also has a rich history of characters.
The sidewall of the church nearest the hall has what looks like small round indents which extend across the wall in various heights. Most people may wonder about them and how they appeared and we would have to answer that they were man-made (well infact, child-made). Woodville Uniting Church had a Sunday school of over 480 students and 62 teachers and was the largest in the State. In those days, the boys of the time used to line up along this wall in height order and because of the era, they were the last to enter the church. Boys, being boys, were a little bit restless, and with their penny or half-penny. they would twist and turn them into the wall to while away the time and so this is how those indents were made.
For more information see Charles Sturt Council website